History of Alloy Bodies Ltd
Alloy Bodies Ltd was originally founded in 1969 as a family business, based on its current site in Clifton Street, Miles Platting near central Manchester. In the early years bodies were built and repaired in one small unit on the Jubilee Works industrial estate but these days the production facility occupies the full site. With over 50 production bays and producing up to 3000 bodies per year, the company has evolved from its humble beginnings.
From its inception Alloy Bodies Ltd has strengthened its status as one of the countries leading commercial vehicle body builders, supplying bodywork to a wide range of customers including major rental fleets, contract hire and logistics companies and also as part of chassis manufacturers drive away body programmes. Continued investment in our people, products and production facility will see us remain at the forefront of commercial vehicle body manufacturing for the foreseeable future.
Historically a part of Lancashire, and formerly a part of the township of Newton Heath, Miles Platting began to appear on maps in the 1820s, when it had begun to expand into a factory district as a result of the Industrial Revolution. That industrial growth resulted in a population that became very large for the size of the district, resulting in densely packed back-to-back housing that had degenerated into slums by 1950.
Today, Miles Platting is part of the East Manchester Regeneration Scheme and is undergoing extensive redevelopment and regeneration as some of the last vestiges of the Industrial Revolution are removed.